7 Home Remedies for Colon Cleansing
posted Jan 16, 2018
Guest post by Kelly Newman
Do you regularly suffer from constipation or irregular bowel movements? Well, research suggests that 15% of the Americans are victims of chronic constipation which is a dangerous affliction. Such digestive diseases lead to the build-up of waste on the walls of the colon.
The colon performs many essential functions; it doesn’t only aid in the elimination of stool but also extracts salt and water from waste before excreting it, maintains pH and fights against harmful bacteria. The malfunctioning of the colon can cause serious health implications such as skin allergies, gallbladder stones, heart diseases, etc. Many have found that performing a colon cleanse is an easy preventative to avoid colon problems in the future.
Easy and Quick Home Remedies that You Can Use
Leafy greens are nutrient powerhouses; spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, collard greens, leeks, peas are all rich in Chlorophyll which helps cleanse the intestinal tract and as a result soothes the colon. They also help detoxify the liver and protect the body from the toxins in the environment. You can boil or steam the veggies, add them in soups or slightly sauté with a little butter or olive oil.
Ginger has antiseptic properties and is beneficial as it stimulates digestion. It can be added to any juice or can be eaten directly. Add one teaspoon of ginger juice and honey, mix it in one cup warm water. This mixture can be consumed twice a day. You can also make a smoothie using:
- 1 tablespoon of ginger (peeled)
- 1 apple (sliced)
- A cup of spinach
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- Blend all these ingredients with 1 cup water and your smoothie is ready. Drink it once a day to ensure proper functioning of the intestinal tract.
Juices made by using apple and lemon
Apples and lemons are both rich in nutrients that improve the digestive action such as vitamins C & A, antioxidants, and Fiber. You can make delicious juices from these fruits:
- Take ½ cup Apple Juice, add 2 tablespoons Lemon juice and a teaspoon of ginger juice.
- Mix it in ½ cup of warm water. You can drink this mixture once a day to help detoxify the colon and encourage proper digestion.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Unfiltered apple cider vinegar helps flush out waste from our body while retaining the useful bacteria. It can be taken along with honey to cleanse the colon and restore the digestive system.
- Mix raw apple cider vinegar and honey in equal quantities (2 tablespoons)
- Mix it in one cup water and drink it once daily. It will not only remove the toxins but has tons of other benefits such as preventing diabetes and lowering bad cholesterol.
Eating Fiber-Rich Foods
Fiber is excellent for keeping your bowels healthy and cleansing the colon by eliminating waste out of our body. You can include grains such as beans, lentils, quinoa, oatmeal or vegetables like peas, artichoke, Brussels sprouts that are high in fiber. Raspberries, mango, figs, and coconut also help nourish the colon.
Sea Salt and Water
Water plays a significant role in detoxifying our bodies. When the colon is dehydrated, it is easier for the toxins to stick inside and form a build-up. You need to consume at least 2-2.5 liters of water every day to ensure optimum functioning of the colon.
- Add one teaspoon of sea salt to half liter water and drink it before breakfast (before you eat anything else). Drinking the mixture encourages bowel movement and improves digestive health.
Chia and Flax Seeds
Both these seeds are superfoods that are high in fiber. They also contain Omega 3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation in the colon and remove the built-up toxins. You can add a teaspoon of the seeds in water and drink the mixture, make a pudding or sprinkle them over salads.
- Soak a tablespoon of chia seeds in one cup water for 5 to 10 minutes so the fiber can perform its optimum function by absorbing water
- Mix the seeds in about 1 cup of yogurt
- Consume this mixture 4 times a day for about 4 weeks to cleanse the intestinal tract.
There are different over the counter colon cleansing supplements also available in the market. Performing a colon cleanse is vital because it doesn’t only eliminate bacteria and improves digestion, but also promotes weight loss and prevents various diseases.
– – – – – – – –
Disclaimer: The words and other content provided in this post, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If you or any other person has a medical concern, consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care professional immediately and do not rely on the information presented in this post. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this blog post or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
– – – – – – – –